We hear this question a lot — “When is the right time to start a skincare routine?” The answer is – IMMEDIATELY. There is no perfect age to start a skincare routine. In fact, from the minute you enter puberty, you should be paying close attention to the needs of your skin. Developing a skincare routine early will lay the foundation for a lifetime of care which will help prevent the skin from ageing and promote skin rejuvenation by encouraging cell turnover to reveal a younger you.
Starting a Skincare Routine
What exactly is involved in starting a skincare routine? Here is what a daily skincare regime should look like regardless of your age:
● Wash your face using a gentle cleanser in the morning and before bed.
● Every morning, apply a broad spectrum sunscreen that has an SPF of at least 30 or more to your face, neck, and any other exposed areas of skin.
● Before bed, apply a facial moisturiser that fits your skin type and age. Usually liquid and gels work well for oily skin, lotions are great for normal or combination skin and creams can help skin that suffers from dryness. When picking a moisturiser, remember that you want to find one that contains vitamins, antioxidants and restoring agents to truly nourish your skin.
● Exfoliation is an extra step that you should not overlook in your skincare routine. Although it does not need to be carried out every day. Ideally, you should do it at least twice per week. Use a product that contains alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs) or beta hydroxy acids (BHAs) to remove dead skin cells, dirt, and debris to reveal a younger, blemish free skin surface.
Considerations About Moisturisers
The market is inundated with moisturisers for every skin type. When shopping for one, consider the following:
● Products that contain hyaluronic acid help to plump the skin by restoring lost hydration which helps with skin rejuvenation.
● Ceramides create a superb skin barrier that promotes overall health and can fight against dry skin and bouts of eczema.
● Vitamin C: No vitamin C is not just for boosting the immune system and helping with colds. In fact, vitamin C is a fantastic antioxidant that protects and brightens skin to give you a younger, glowing appearance.
Many people, especially those who are young, suffer from oily, acne-prone skin. In an effort to clear up their blemishes, they might be tempted to skip the skin moisturiser, but you should avoid doing this. Washing your skin without applying moisturiser can actually spur your skin to over produce oil which leads to even more breakouts. opt to use a lightweight moisturising product that will not clog your pores.
Even with the best skincare routine, you might start showing your age with fine lines and wrinkles, sagging, and facial imperfections such as age spots. At LSV, we offer a variety of skin rejuvenation services that can help your skin look younger and more refreshed.
Please contact us today to schedule a consultation with one of our aesthetic professionals. We can help you battle skin ageing and achieve a glowing complexion.