Everyone washes their face and often slathers on a combination of sunscreen and moisturizer to maintain their looks. However, one of the fundamental ways to keep your skin healthy and glowing is exfoliation.
What is Exfoliation?
Exfoliation refers to the removal of dead skin cells from the skin’s surface. The dead and dying cells are naturally shed as part of the renewal process. Skin cells make their way from the dermis to the epidermis (top layer of skin) and then slowly degenerate. This process is relatively rapid during youth but as we age the cycle slows down. Exfoliation is the action of physically scrubbing the skin or undergoing a cosmetic procedure such as microdermabrasion or a chemical peel to remove the dead skin cells. Once the layer of dead skin is removed, the new cells hidden beneath can breathe.
Top Benefits of Exfoliation
Here are the top four benefits of skin exfoliation:
- Smoother and More Even Skin Tone: Dead cells build up on your skin’s surface and cause an uneven texture. Makeup will not go on smoothly over the dead cells and makes wrinkles more prominent. Exfoliation creates a smooth surface that forms a fresher appearance.
- Minimizes Pores and Clears Skin: The buildup of dead cells cause pores to expand and become more visual. The pores can also clog with a combination of dead cells, oil, and dirt which creates blackheads and frequently leads to acne outbreaks. Regularly exfoliating your skin minimises the appearance of pores and clears away blockage to prevent breakouts.
- Reduces the Appearance of Wrinkles: The buildup of dead cells exaggerates the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, especially if you wear makeup. Exfoliation rejuvenates skin, so it glows and wrinkles become less noticeable.
- Improves Absorption: Dead cells block the skin’s ability to absorb skin care products which leads to dehydration and dry flakes. Exfoliation frees your pores so they can breathe and more readily absorb topicals.
How to Exfoliate Your Skin
Nowadays, numerous over-the-counter products exfoliate skin. They can be used in combination with a light, gentle scrubbing. There are also several cosmetic exfoliation procedures undertaken by estheticians and skin care specialists that provide you with dramatic revitalizing results.
To truly rejuvenate your skin then you might want to try one of these cosmetic procedures:
- Laser Skin Rejuvenation: The process of laser skin rejuvenation is a quick way to reinvigorate your appearance. The method reduces pore size, clears away fine lines and wrinkles, lessens the appearance of acne scarring, and lightens skin by reducing the pigment for a more even presentation to create a luminous presence.
- Microdermabrasion and Hydrafacial Treatments: Microdermabrasion lifts away dry, rough skin to create a smoother, softer surface. After the microdermabrasion treatment, the skin is hydrated with a hydration treatment that contains antioxidants and peptides to plump the cells and create a younger appearance.
- Chemical Peels: Chemical peels are considered a deep exfoliation method that improves the tone and texture of your skin’s surface by smoothing away fine lines and visible sun damage. The hands, neck, and chest can also benefit from a chemical peel.
The simple act of exfoliation will reveal a younger and more vibrant you. To learn more about our many exfoliation services, please schedule a consultation with our medical staff at the Laser Skin & Vein Clinic.