Many people suffer from sunken eyes as a direct result of aging. The delicate skin around your peepers takes on a dark, hollow appearance. The transformation is usually gradual but some people develop the sunken eye look quickly. In a severe case of sunken eyes, your eyesight might even be impacted.
What Causes Sunken Eyes
Here are the top four reasons for sunken eyes:
- Genetics: If one of your parents suffers from sunken eyes then the likelihood of you developing the look increases substantially as you age.
- Facial Structure: Some people have naturally deep set optics with high cheekbones. As the years pass, their eyes start to sink even further back and they develop a hollow-eyed appearance.
- Aging: As you age, your face starts to lose its layer of fat and collagen. The depletion causes the padding on your cheekbones and beneath your eyes to flatten and shrink. With the loss of fat and collagen, your eyes will appear to sink further back in to your facial structure and dark circles usually develop that can become severe.
- Weight Loss: Yo-yo dieting depletes the fat reserves in the face. Eventually, your face will take on a skeletal appearance with hollow eye sockets. The skin sags and wrinkles develop.
- This look gives you the appearance of being sick and older than your years.
Cosmetic Procedures to Treat Sunken Eyes
If you suffer from sunken eyes, there are cosmetic procedures that improve the appearance of your eyes by giving them a more wide-open look.
- Eyelid Lift: As you age, the first area of your face that starts to show age is the area around your eyes and across your forehead. The forehead begins to sag due to gravity. The weight of the skin pulls the eyebrows lower which makes your eyes appear hollow and set further back in the sockets. With an upper eyelid lift, your brows and forehead will be pulled back which creates a younger appearance. The surgical procedure involves a cosmetic surgeon making several small incision along the hairline. The skin of the forehead is then lifted and stretched. The results of the surgery are immediate and the recovery time minimal.
- Upper and Lower Eyelid Lift (known as blepharoplasty):. The loose skin around the eyes can be removed and tightened to create a younger appearance. A surgeon will reconstruct the skin and remaining fat deposits to create a younger look.
- Fat Grafting: An aging face loses fat, muscle, and bone with each passing year which makes the eyes become more deep set. A cosmetic technician can harvest a patient’s own fat. The harvested fat can then be used to refill the hollowed out areas of the face such as the area around the eyes. Although cosmetic fillers can be used in place of the patient’s own fat there is always the risk of an allergic reaction. With the patient’s own fat, there is no allergic reaction or other adverse side effects.
- Fillers: Fillers are often successfully be used to fill out orbital recession beneath the eyes. The procedure is often known as, ‘ tear trough therapy’. After the injections, the under eye area is made more robust and smoother for a youthful appearance.
If you are tired of looking older than your years because of your sunken eyes then contact Laser Skin & Vein Clinic to learn more about the various cosmetic procedures that can help restore your youthful and bright-eyed appearance.