You might be shocked to learn that the first signs of aging can make their appearance as early as your 20s. Subtle changes develop around the eyes such as fine lines commonly referred to as ‘crow’s feet,’ drooping upper lids, and creases near the nose. As you enter your 30s, vertical lines develop. As a result, regular facial expressions only deepen the wrinkles with each passing year. In your 40s, your face loses volume and elasticity. Sagging also starts to occur, and jowls develop.
The Signs of Aging
How your skin ages depend on genetic factors, sun exposure, and environmental toxins. Making healthy choices during your youth will have a dramatic impact on your face later in life. Avoiding smoking, drinking, and sun damage are all beneficial ways to combat aging.
Everyone is unique, but as the years’ pass, specific changes are a given and start to appear on everyone’s face. Some people opt to age gracefully, but others choose cosmetic procedures to maintain a younger appearance.
- Your forehead expands as your hairline retreats back (this occurs in both men and women to a certain degree)
- Ears become more pronounced and more prolonged as the cartridge grows and sags.
- The tip of the nose often starts to droop because the connective tissue of the nasal cartilage weakens.
- Facial fat is lost, so the face loses volume which makes features which were once round in youth start to appear sunken.
- Pigmentation occurs as a direct result of sun exposure. Dark spots often appear on the face, the neck, and the backs of the hands.
- Skin becomes loose and sags
- The lower half of the face often gains fat which causes a baggy chin and neck jowls.
- Wrinkles in the forehead and between the eyebrows are probably the first signs of aging. The lines occur as a direct result of your facial muscles tugging, pulling, and creasing the skin. Fine lines arise because of sun damage or smoking.
Ways to Combat Facial Aging
There are certain things you can do to combat the first signs of aging. Here are five ways to fight facial aging to maintain a more youthful appearance.
- Sun Protection: One of the best ways to maintain to prevent premature aging is to protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun’s UV rays. Slather on the sunscreen and consider wearing a wide-brimmed hat.
- Lotions: Moisturizers have been developed to help relieve dry skin which makes wrinkles less noticeable. Exfoliate creams are designed for older skin. They help rid the skin’s surface of dead skin cells. The creams also speed along cellular regeneration which slows as a direct result of aging.
- Botulinum toxin: Injections of botulinum toxin are frequently used to treat expression lines. The substance immobilizes the muscles that cause expression lines. Without the repetitive daily motion of the muscles, the skin’s surface starts to smooth out.
- Dermal fillers: Dermal fillers successfully treat lines that occur as a result of lost fat and collagen. People often use dermal fillers to reduce the appearance of the nasolabial folds which are often referred to as marionette lines.
- Laser Treatments: Lasers can be used to even out skin tone, reduce acne scarring, shrink pore size, treat broken capillaries, and smooth wrinkles. The laser treatments also help to stimulate collagen formation.
Contact the Laser Skin & Vein Clinic to schedule a consultation to learn about the many ways you can combat the first signs of aging.